Here’s how long it will take you to master Italian
Fill out the quick form below to find out how long it will take you to reach your target level. It only takes 3 minutes and it’s 100% free!
How long does it take to learn Italian from scratch?
Learning a foreign language is a bit like learning to ride a bike. It will feel a bit scary at first, but once you get the hang of it, you’ll be riding like a pro.
Your first year of language learning will be a bit shaky, with lots of falls and bruises, but don’t worry! You will get better and better with time.
The most important thing is that you don’t give up.
We have a few tips that can help you speed up the process and reach an advanced level much faster.
How long does it take to learn Italian from scratch? That depends on how well you handle new things, your motivation, and the amount of practice and dedication you put into it.
Most people can learn this target language to a B2 level within one year if they put enough effort into it.
A few tips for fast Italian learning
- Build a strong foundation: you’re not going to become fluent in this beautiful language overnight. So, before you begin “speaking Italian”, you need to first build a strong foundation in the language. Start with a beginner’s course or find an Italian tutor to cover the basics. From there, you can build on your knowledge as you go.
- Set goals: without goals, it’s easy to succumb to procrastination and laziness. When you know exactly what you’re trying to achieve, you can focus your energy and time on getting there. So, before you start learning Italian, set a few goals for yourself.
- Set a schedule: if you’re serious about this language journey, you’re going to have to make time for it. Make a schedule and stick to it.
- Find a learning partner: is there someone who also wants to learn Italian? Find a partner and improve your Italian language skills together! Having a friend to hold you accountable and give you feedback on your progress can make a big difference.
The right tools for the job
- A good dictionary: when you’re just starting, you don’t want to be overwhelmed with too much vocabulary. That’s why a good dictionary is essential.
- A grammar book: if you want to learn Italian, you’re going to have to learn some grammar. It might sound boring, but it is essential. An Italian grammar book can help you understand the basics.
- A language learning app: with so many language apps out there, it can be hard to know which one to choose. In our experience, one of the best language courses for beginners is Babbel. It’s easy to use, has engaging content, and has a ton of useful features.
Speak with Native Speakers
One of the best ways to speed up your Italian learning is to speak with native speakers.
This is one of the most effective ways to speed up language learning in general.
Italian speakers will be able to help you with your pronunciation, usage, and complex grammar. The more native language you speak, the faster you’ll learn it.
The easiest way to find a native speaker is to use a language exchange website.
There are lots of these online, and they are free to use. You can search for people who speak Italian and if you’re an English speaker you can help them with it.
Learning a new language can be difficult.
How much time does it take to learn Italian from scratch? That depends on how well you handle new things, your motivation, and the amount of practice and dedication you put into it.
If you follow these tips, you’ll learn Italian faster than ever before.
Just remember to not be too hard on yourself and don’t give up too early.
Still translating in your head? Wanna speak Italian for real? Check out Stefano's courses to think directly in Italian and become fluent fast!