What’s the best laptop for online teaching?
Here are our top picks for the most recent models and the most important factors to consider.
Why is it important to find the best laptop?
Any teacher would tell you that your computer is your best friend when it comes to both classroom and online teaching.
Your laptop will make (or break) how well your classes go. From lesson plans to actual lessons, a computer is something that should be carefully considered before buying.
Finding the right laptop can appear to be a difficult job, but there are quite a few excellent options out there that are affordable enough for a teacher’s salary and budget.
How to select the best laptop for online classes
There are many things to consider if you want to find the best laptop for teaching such as:
- CPU: you’ll need a good CPU. Getting one these days isn’t difficult. Only make sure that whatever CPU you end up with is up to date;
- RAM: a minimum of 8GB of RAM is necessary to make sure that you never run out of virtual memory;
- Display: full HD + the largest screen you can afford (15-17”);
- Storage: with a lot of lectures being recorded and videos to post, getting 256GB might be a smart idea;
- USB ports: look for a laptop that has at least two USB connections/ports. They are intended to make it easier to use other devices, such as a hard drives and a printer;
- Wireless: almost every laptop now comes with Wi-Fi, but if you plan on carrying your laptop anywhere, you’ll need to get one with wireless connectivity;
- Battery life: pay special attention to the laptop’s expected battery life. It is important to note that battery life is almost always less than what the manufacturer advertises.
Conclusion – Best laptop for Zoom teaching
We know you want to know what’s the best laptop for ESL teachers online. Unfortunately, there is no perfect answer, which is a good thing because, with all of the options available, you can make the best choice that’s right for you.
What we suggest is that you make your choice based on a set of guidelines that must be met, which is why we have included an overview of what we feel are important factors to consider when choosing the best laptop for online teaching.
The laptops we recommend are based on these criteria, so selecting one of these should be a safe bet if you’re having trouble deciding.
And also, check out the best microphone for online teaching!
Still translating in your head? Wanna speak Italian for real? Check out Stefano's courses to think directly in Italian and become fluent fast!